Normally I don’t read the magazine in my seat from an airline. But this time I didn’t bring any reading material. So I cracked open the mag from United and gave it a once-over. I was delighted to find this recipe in an article on Umami.
• 1/4 cup plus 1 tbsp. Wanjashan organic soy sauce
• 2 bunches broccolini, broken into 2-inch pieces
• 1/3 cup thinly sliced garlic
• 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
• 2 cups sliced shiitake
• 1/2 teaspoon Korean chili flake (or red chili)
• 1/3 cup chopped preserved lemon
In a stock pot, add the soy sauce to a quart of water and bring to a boil. Parboil the broccolini until tender-crisp, about three minutes, and shock in ice bath. Dry pot. Add extra virgin olive oil on medium-high heat. Add garlic and stir until golden brown. Remove garlic and drain, leaving a little oil in pot. Sauté the shiitake. Add back garlic with chili flake, preserved lemon and blanched broccolini. Heat through. Check seasoning and serve. For added umami, sprinkle with Parmigiano-Reggiano. Serves 4.