One more from this healthy lady from the Food Network. She’s turned this hearty, cheese noodle dish into something so healthy you can eat 2 and a half cups of it at 540 calories. Is that a lot?
* 1 pound whole-wheat penne
* 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
* 1 1/4 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
* 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
* 2 teaspoons olive oil
* 1 medium onion, chopped
* 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
* 1 (15-ounce) can low-sodium crushed tomatoes
* 1 (8-ounce) can low-sodium tomato sauce
* 1 teaspoon dried oregano
* 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
* 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes
* 3/4 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon pepper
* Cooking spray
* 1/4 cup grated Parmesan (3/4 ounces)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Combine the cottage cheese, ricotta cheese, 1/2 cup mozzarella and parsley in a bowl and stir with a fork to incorporate and set aside. Cook pasta until tender but still firm, a minute or 2 less than the package directs. Drain.
Heat the oil in the same pot over medium heat. Add the onion and cook stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds more. Add the tomatoes, tomato sauce, oregano, rosemary, chili flakes, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes until sauce thickens slightly. Return pasta to pot with sauce and turn off heat. Add cottage cheese mixture.
Spray a 9 by 13-inch glass baking dish with cooking spray then transfer pasta mixture to pan. Top with remaining 3/4 cup mozzarella and the parmesan. Bake until heated through and cheese is melted, 30 minutes.